Accused gets 8-year RI for raping South Korean tourist
Jabalpur: A court in Umariya has sentenced a resort manager to eight years` rigorous imprisonment for raping a South Korean woman tourist on January 14 this year in Bandhavgarh.
Umariya District and Sessions Judge Akhilesh Pandya, while announcing the sentence on Tuesday, also imposed a fine of Rs 2,000 on the accused resort manager Deepak Vishwakarma.
In case Vishwakarma fails to pay the fine, the term of his sentence would be extended by another three months.
The judge also sentenced Vishwakarma to one-year rigorous imprisonment along with a fine of Rs 1,000 under sections 7 and 14 of the Foreigners Act.
The court, however, exonerated him of the charge of causing hurt by means of poison with the intention to commit an offence.
The sentences will run concurrently, the court added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- US zoo kills gorilla after 3-year-old boy falls into enclosure
- EC cancels polls for two remaining Tamil Nadu Assembly seats - Know why
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid - UEFA Champions League final
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond