Accused getting bail, whistleblowers in jail: BJP
New Delhi: With cash-for-vote accused Amar
Singh granted bail in the scam, BJP on Monday lamented that while
those charged with bribery in the case are getting out of
jail, the whistleblowers are still behind bars.
"All those who have been accused of bribery in a scam
which really impacted Indian democracy, i.e. the vote of
confidence won by bribery, seem to be foremost in getting
relief from courts," Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun
He maintained that it was a "sad commentary" on the
state of things and will deter people from exposing graft.
"The whistleblowers who did not pocket the money, and
who received the money and immediately went to Parliament and
exposed the crime are languishing in jail," Jaitley said.
He claimed that this will discourage people from
exposing corruption in future.
Amar Singh was granted bail by the High Court in the
cash-for-vote scam on health grounds.
BJP leader LK Advani`s former close aide Sudheendra
Kulkarni and two former party MPs - Mahavir Bhagora and Faggan
Singh Kulaste - are still in jail in the same case. The party
maintains that they had acted as whistleblowers and exposed
attempts to buy MPs to win the July 22, 2008 trust vote.
Advani had said on the last day of the recently
concluded Monsoon session of Parliament that if the two MPs
and Kulkarni are guilty then he is even more guilty as he- in
his capacity as Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha- had allowed
them to go ahead with the sting operation.
Advani has also credited these arrests for prompting
him to take out his on-going yatra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof