Accused getting bail, whistleblowers in jail: BJP
New Delhi: With cash-for-vote accused Amar
Singh granted bail in the scam, BJP on Monday lamented that while
those charged with bribery in the case are getting out of
jail, the whistleblowers are still behind bars.
"All those who have been accused of bribery in a scam
which really impacted Indian democracy, i.e. the vote of
confidence won by bribery, seem to be foremost in getting
relief from courts," Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun
He maintained that it was a "sad commentary" on the
state of things and will deter people from exposing graft.
"The whistleblowers who did not pocket the money, and
who received the money and immediately went to Parliament and
exposed the crime are languishing in jail," Jaitley said.
He claimed that this will discourage people from
exposing corruption in future.
Amar Singh was granted bail by the High Court in the
cash-for-vote scam on health grounds.
BJP leader LK Advani`s former close aide Sudheendra
Kulkarni and two former party MPs - Mahavir Bhagora and Faggan
Singh Kulaste - are still in jail in the same case. The party
maintains that they had acted as whistleblowers and exposed
attempts to buy MPs to win the July 22, 2008 trust vote.
Advani had said on the last day of the recently
concluded Monsoon session of Parliament that if the two MPs
and Kulkarni are guilty then he is even more guilty as he- in
his capacity as Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha- had allowed
them to go ahead with the sting operation.
Advani has also credited these arrests for prompting
him to take out his on-going yatra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez