Achievements at BRICS initiated, built up by Cong: Singhvi
New Delhi: Congress on Thursday hailed the achievements at the just concluded BRICS Summit, especially the new development bank, underlining its own contribution for the growth and flourishing of the international forum.
"We are very happy over the outcome at the just concluded BRICS Summit. What was initiated and built up by the Congress is being completed is a welcome thing. This included the BRICS Bank," party spokesman Abhishek Singhvi told reporters.
In a major victory for India at international forum, the BRICS Summit agreed to establish the new development bank, a point New Delhi emphasised to prevent by domination by anyone of the members.
The agreement on establishing the bank and a contingency reserve arrangement with an initial size of USD 100 billion came at a Summit meeting of the five-nation grouping in which Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched his first multilateral engagement with global leaders.
Asked about the statement of Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi on recasting the provision of CBI seeking prior sanction before prosecuting officers of the central government under the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988, Singhvi said,"It is the stand of the government reflected in the Attorney General stand" on which Congress is "stupefied mystified and shocked.
"You know the history of the single directive. After last 30 years starting from 1980s of the Jain Hawala diaries episode, the single directive has been condemned many times by the Apex Court," he said.
Two months after a Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court had set aside a provision under which it was mandatory for the CBI to seek prior sanction before investigating officers of the rank of joint secretary and above, Rohatgi has reportedly opined that the provision should be "recast" to extend the "protection to all officers...Regardless of rank".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Shravan 2016: Today is the first Somwar - Know what you need to do
- Eight dead, 20 missing in Malaysia boat accident
- Sandeep Yadav – Narsingh Yadav's roommate, also fails doping test
- KSRTC, BMTC strike begins today; two-day holiday for schools declared
- Dinosaur species may shed new light on megaraptorids