Action against cops involved in Ramlila crackdown
New Delhi: Action will be taken against
erring police personnel involved in midnight crackdown on yoga guru Ramdev and his supporters at the Ramlila ground last June
after identifying them, Government told the Rajya Sabha Wednesday.
Those police personnel who committed excesses at Ramlila
Maidan on the night of June 4-5, 2011 "will be identified and
action will be taken," Home Minister P Chidambaram said during
He said the government was obliged to honour the Supreme
Court judgement on the action taken by police against Ramdev
and his followers on the night of June 5, 2011.
Earlier, Prakash Javedkar (BJP) pointed out that 5,000
police personnel, in presence of Police Commissioner, cane
charged 10,000 protestors who were sleeping. There was no reason for provocation and yet the protestors were beaten up, he said.
The Supreme Court in its judgement on February 23 had
noted that while some of the police personnel were very
cooperative with the members of the assembly and helped them
to vacate the ground, some others were violent and inflicted
Delhi Police has constituted a fact-finding committee to
conduct the preliminary enquiry and identify the erring
officers and recommended the nature of departmental action to
be taken against each officer in compliance with the order of
the Court, the minister informed.
Besides, as per the direction of the Supreme Court, a
fresh FIR has been registered on March 9 at Kamla Market
Police Station, the Home Minister.
To another related question, Chidambaram said government
was studying the Supreme Court`s judgement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets