‘Action taken against NGOs misusing foreign funds’
New Delhi: The Centre has frozen accounts of
30 NGOs following allegations of misuse of foreign funds and
banned 70 other voluntary organisations from receiving
donations from abroad.
Minister of State for Home Mullappally Ramachandran told
Lok Sabha on Tuesday that 24 cases of alleged misuse of foreign
contribution have been referred to the CBI for investigation
and seven cases have been handed over to state police.
"35 NGOs have been placed in prior-permission category,
accounts of 30 NGOs have been frozen and 70 NGOs have been
prohibited from receiving foreign contribution," he said.
Last week, Ramachandran had said that preliminary
reports suggested alleged misuse of foreign funds for opposing
the setting up of the Kudankulam nuclear plant in Tamil Nadu
and a probe has been ordered into it.
Rs 9914.19 crore foreign contribution was received by
21,365 NGOs in 2007-08, Rs 10987.05 crore by 22,544 NGOs in
2008-09 and Rs 10340.25 crore by 21,674 NGOs in 2009-10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day