Activists ask PM to reopen 1991 J&K mass rape probe
New Delhi: A civil rights group has asked Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to restart criminal investigations into the 1991 Kunan-Poshpora mass rape case in Jammu and Kashmir and pacify the victims.
Delhi-based think-tank Centre for Policy Analysis (CPA) submitted its report to the prime minister and asked him to have the case probed. CPA made its report after interactions with residents of the twin villages in Kupwara district, about 120 km from Srinagar.
"The misery and suffering of the victims was shocking with the trauma clearly visible even two decades after the alleged crime," said a statement issued by the CPA after it assessed the progress of justice and grievance redressal in a visit June 14-16.
"We believe you (prime minister) will be visiting Jammu and Kashmir to open a rail link and we hope that we can persuade you to also open communication links between your government and the rape victims," added the statement.
"We have made several recommendations with the hope that you will consider these favourably as there is urgent need to ensure justice," it said further.
In February 1991, several women were allegedly raped and men tortured by Indian army soldiers in retaliation to an ambush near the village.
According to the report, even after 22 years of the incident, the villagers are haunted by the memories of the incident.
The CPA has made 10 recommendations to the prime minister, including compensating the victims and uplift of the village youth, among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!