Activists to gherao residences of PM, Gadkari: Kejriwal
New Delhi: Alleging that Congress and BJP were hand-in-glove on the coal block allocation issue, erstwhile Team Anna on Thursday announced gherao of the residences of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and BJP chief Nitin Gadkari on Sunday.
This was announced by activist Arvind Kejriwal, leader of India Against Corruption (IAC), in a tweet this morning.
"Congress and BJP have got together to loot Rs 1.86 lakh crore in coal scam. (There will be) gherao of Prime Minister`s and Nitin Gadkari`s residences. Let us assemble at Jantar Mantar on August 26 (at) 10 am," he tweeted.
The announcement came as a CAG report said that the exchequer lost around Rs 1.86 lakh crore due to coal bloc allocation without competitive bidding during 2005-09.
Earlier, the erstwhile Team Anna had decided to hold the first meeting of preparatory committee this Sunday which will chalk out the ways for formation of a political party. However, now this meeting is likely to take place in the first week of September as they are yet to finalise the names.
Team Anna had earlier this month decided to take a political plunge.
Last week, the activists had threatened to file a PIL in court and carry out a referendum to "expose" the UPA on coal block allocations if the government does not constitute a special team to probe allegations.
"We have raised it on May 25. All our allegations have come true now. All parties are involved in it since screening committees have representatives of states also.
"We demand cancellation of allotments of coal blocks. Lodge FIR, constitute an SIT, failing which we will file PIL in court and carry out referendum on the issue to expose the government," Kejriwal had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price