Activists to gherao residences of PM, Gadkari: Kejriwal
New Delhi: Alleging that Congress and BJP were hand-in-glove on the coal block allocation issue, erstwhile Team Anna on Thursday announced gherao of the residences of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and BJP chief Nitin Gadkari on Sunday.
This was announced by activist Arvind Kejriwal, leader of India Against Corruption (IAC), in a tweet this morning.
"Congress and BJP have got together to loot Rs 1.86 lakh crore in coal scam. (There will be) gherao of Prime Minister`s and Nitin Gadkari`s residences. Let us assemble at Jantar Mantar on August 26 (at) 10 am," he tweeted.
The announcement came as a CAG report said that the exchequer lost around Rs 1.86 lakh crore due to coal bloc allocation without competitive bidding during 2005-09.
Earlier, the erstwhile Team Anna had decided to hold the first meeting of preparatory committee this Sunday which will chalk out the ways for formation of a political party. However, now this meeting is likely to take place in the first week of September as they are yet to finalise the names.
Team Anna had earlier this month decided to take a political plunge.
Last week, the activists had threatened to file a PIL in court and carry out a referendum to "expose" the UPA on coal block allocations if the government does not constitute a special team to probe allegations.
"We have raised it on May 25. All our allegations have come true now. All parties are involved in it since screening committees have representatives of states also.
"We demand cancellation of allotments of coal blocks. Lodge FIR, constitute an SIT, failing which we will file PIL in court and carry out referendum on the issue to expose the government," Kejriwal had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA