Activists to gherao residences of PM, Gadkari: Kejriwal
New Delhi: Alleging that Congress and BJP were hand-in-glove on the coal block allocation issue, erstwhile Team Anna on Thursday announced gherao of the residences of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and BJP chief Nitin Gadkari on Sunday.
This was announced by activist Arvind Kejriwal, leader of India Against Corruption (IAC), in a tweet this morning.
"Congress and BJP have got together to loot Rs 1.86 lakh crore in coal scam. (There will be) gherao of Prime Minister`s and Nitin Gadkari`s residences. Let us assemble at Jantar Mantar on August 26 (at) 10 am," he tweeted.
The announcement came as a CAG report said that the exchequer lost around Rs 1.86 lakh crore due to coal bloc allocation without competitive bidding during 2005-09.
Earlier, the erstwhile Team Anna had decided to hold the first meeting of preparatory committee this Sunday which will chalk out the ways for formation of a political party. However, now this meeting is likely to take place in the first week of September as they are yet to finalise the names.
Team Anna had earlier this month decided to take a political plunge.
Last week, the activists had threatened to file a PIL in court and carry out a referendum to "expose" the UPA on coal block allocations if the government does not constitute a special team to probe allegations.
"We have raised it on May 25. All our allegations have come true now. All parties are involved in it since screening committees have representatives of states also.
"We demand cancellation of allotments of coal blocks. Lodge FIR, constitute an SIT, failing which we will file PIL in court and carry out referendum on the issue to expose the government," Kejriwal had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh
- Pakistan celebrate 'incredible journey' to No.1 in Test Cricket after 7 years