Actor Raghubir Yadav out of jail, pays part of alimony due
Mumbai: Two days after languishing in jail,
actor Raghubir Yadav, arrested in connection with an alimony
case lodged by his estranged wife, was on Monday released after he
paid half of the arrears.
Yadav, against whom a warrant was issued by the court in
September for failing to appear before it despite regular
summons, was arrested on Friday night at the Mumbai Central
His estranged wife, Purnima had approached the court in
2002 after the actor failed to pay maintenance for four years.
The duo tied the knot in 1988 and divorced in 1996.
"Raghubir was directed to pay alimony of Rs 20,000 per month,
which was later brought down to Rs 10,000. Till date, he had
not paid a single paisa to Purnima. There are arrears of Rs
4.5 lakh," Purnima`s lawyer Sumangal Biradar said.
Yadav was today produced before the Bandra family court,
where he paid half of the Rs 4.5 lakh arrears and gave an
undertaking that he would pay the remaining amount on June
The actor, who has been evading arrest since September
last, was sent to the Arthur Road prison in central Mumbai on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees