Adarsh scam: CBI gives clean chit to Jayant Patil
Mumbai: The CBI has given a clean chit to Maharashtra`s rural development minister Jayant Patil in the Adarsh Housing Society scam.
The agency stated this in an affidavit submitted before the Bombay High Court on Tuesday, in reply to an application made by social activist Pravin Wategaonkar seeking a CBI investigation against Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Jayant Patil for allegedly owning `benami` flats in Adarsh building in south Mumbai.
The CBI had earlier filed an affidavit giving a clean chit to Shinde, stating that it has no evidence to suggest that the central minister abused his position to secure membership of the controversial society for his kin.
Wategaonkar later filed an additional affidavit to his application along with documents supporting allegations against Shinde and Patil.
CBI, in its additional affidavit handed over to the petitioner today, said that it conducted investigations and found nothing against both Shinde and Patil.
"No evidence against Sushil Kumar Shinde and Jayant Patil was sufficient to prove them guilty, hence they have not been arraigned as accused," the affidavit filed by K Babu, additional superintendent of police, CBI, said.
The affidavit also added that no new facts or additional information and documents relied upon by Wategaonkar discloses or alters the view of the agency in respect of Shinde and Patil, due to insufficient evidence.
Patil, whose nephew Aditya owns a flat in the society, was finance minister of Maharashtra from October 1999 to December 2008 when the state government had allotted land to Adarsh society.
While deposing before the inquiry commission set up to probe the scam, Patil dissociated himself from having played any role in his nephew becoming a member of the Society and that he had showed any favour or concession to Adarsh building.
The agency in its affidavit added that investigation with regard to `benami` transactions of all the 103 members is still in progress and was at a vital stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened