Adarsh scam: CBI submits progress report to HC
Mumbai: The CBI on Wednesday submitted progress
report to the Bombay High Court on the probe in the Adarsh
Housing Society case, involving 14 accused, including former
Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan.
Additional Solicitor General Darius Khambata handed the
report, in a sealed cover, to the division bench of Justices
Ranjana Desai and R V More. The bench asked CBI to file a
further report after four weeks.
The matter has now been posted for hearing on July 20.
CBI had earlier informed the court that it had
registered case against 14 persons following which the court
had asked the petitioner, Simpreet Singh, to forward his
complaint and whatever documents he had to the agency.
Singh, a social activist, had originally sought transfer
of case from state Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) to the CBI.
Later, on its own, the state government decided to hand the
case over to the central agency.
On the last occasion, Singh`s lawyer had said that High
Court must supervise the probe, alleging that even Union
Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde was involved in the scam, but his
name does not figure in CBI`s FIR.
However, the court felt it was investigating agency`s
prerogative as to whom to name in the FIR.
CBI filed the FIR on January 29 under various sections
of IPC, including criminal conspiracy, cheating, and forgery,
besides sections under Prevention of Corruption Act.
Meanwhile, hearing another PIL which demands that
provisions of Prevention of Money Laundering Act be invoked in
the Adarsh case, the division bench today asked CBI and the
Enforcement Directorate (ED) to file replies by June 29.
Petitioner Pravin Wategaonkar contends that Adarsh is a
fit case for probe under PML Act, and it is ED`s
responsibility to conduct probe under the Act.
The PIL says it is necessary that the court monitors
probe under PML Act, especially pertaining to those Adarsh
Society members, whose "loans" were claimed to have come
from sources other than the banks and the financial
Even those, who are claiming immunity now saying that
they have quit the membership Society, should be investigated
with regard to the source of funds used to acquire the
membership in the first place, it says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in