Adarsh scam: Inquiry panel pulls up Union Law Ministry
Mumbai: A day after rapping several
Maharashtra Government departments for failing to submit
documents pertaining to the Adarsh Housing Society scam, the
Commission probing the matter today pulled up Union Law
Ministry after its senior lawyer and official skipped the
panel`s proceedings here.
The two-member Judicial Commission, set up by the
Maharashtra Government to probe the multi-crore scam, had
asked Ministry of Law and Justice, Ministry of Defence, State
Environment Department and local civic transport body BEST to
submit all relevant documents today.
However, both the senior counsel and Joint Secretary
of the Law and Justice Department were absent and only a
junior lawyer was present.
"What is the reason for not attending the proceedings
when specific directions were given to remain present and
submit all documents? You (junior lawyer) could have at least
taken instructions from the senior lawyer as to whether the
documents would be submitted today or not," retired High Court
Judge J A Patil, who is heading the Commission, said.
The panel, set up in January, was expected to submit
its report within three months. However, due to logistical
glitches, the Commission began its work in February and hence
sought extension of three more months. It is now expected to
submit its report by June 7.
The panel was constituted to look into the matters of
land ownership of Adarsh Society, if the land was reserved for
Kargil war heroes, reservation of flats, expansion of
adjoining road, change in reservation of the BEST plot,
alleged role of bureaucrats and violations of CRZ norms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31