Adarsh Society fails to reply to showcause notice
New Delhi: Scam-hit Mumbai`s Adarsh Housing
Society has failed to file its reply to the show-cause notice
served by the Union Environment Ministry asking why its
31-storey building at Colaba should not be demolished for
allegedly violating green laws.
"They have not filed the reply," a senior Ministry
official said adding the hearing of the case has, however,
been scheduled for December 29.
The Ministry had in its order on December 15 asked the
Society to file its reply by December 24 and made it clear
that no further extension of time for filing the reply would
Following a request, the Ministry had last week allowed
the officials of the Society to inspect the original documents
which highlight the alleged violation of green laws by the
The Ministry has already given two extension to the
Society, which is in the eye of a storm for constructing the
high-rise allegedly ignoring various norms, to file the reply
since it slapped its notice on November 12.
The Society had on November 24 sought four weeks` time
but the Ministry on November 29 agreed for a seven-day
extension till December 7.
But before the expiry of the notice period, the
Society sought an extension of one more month, which was not
agreed to by the Ministry which gave just seven more days to
The Society built the structure, allegedly violating
the Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) notification and environment
Besides green law violations, the Adarsh Society is
also facing a CBI case for "fraudulently" converting the
residential block originally meant to be a six-storeyed
apartment block in Mumbai`s upscale Colaba for housing widows
of Kargil war heroes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fishermen killing case: Accused Italian marine Salvatore Girone returns home from India
- Pakistan may seek India's help in curbing terror: Rajnath Singh
- Leander Paes-Martina Hingis pair enters 2016 French Open mixed-doubles quarters
- Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016: BSEB 10th Result 2016, Bihar Class 10th Result 2016 to be declared today on May 29; check biharboard.bih.nic.in
- PM Narendra Modi plays traditional Khasi drum in Meghalaya