Additional building for Supreme Court to be constructed
New Delhi: With the Supreme Court complex facing a space crunch, government has approved a project to construct an additional office building for the apex court to create space for a library, waiting area for litigants and a car park.
The project will cost Rs 884.30 crore and will be set up on a 12.19 acre land adjoining Pragati Maidan, Home Minister P Chidambaram told reporters at the briefing of the decisions taken by the Union Cabinet last night.
According to the Law Ministry proposal, the Supreme Court had started functioning from the Tilak Marg complex around five decades back with only seven judges and a limited staff.
The project, first mooted in 2006, will be set up on the land where amusement park Appu Ghar once existed.
The new complex would be a green building and would facilitate planned and segregated movement of various stake holders and users like judiciary, litigants, court officials, lawyers, support and services and a multilevel underground parking.
The existing complex of the Supreme Court would be linked through an underpass with the additional complex to be built, for coordinated functioning.
The new building will help ease congestion in the existing premises of the Supreme Court complex with the shifting of non-judicial functions to the proposed complex, Chidambaram said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch