Address security concerns before UID project: BJP
New Delhi: At a time when Home Ministry and
Planning Commission are at loggerheads over carrying out
bio-metric collections for the Unique Identification Number
project, BJP on Saturday demanded that the mandate of the UIDAI`s
ambitious scheme should not be extended without addressing
national security concerns.
However, the party said by raising security concerns over
the UID project, it was not siding with P Chidambaram in the
ongoing battle between the Home Ministry and the Planning
"Security concerns are more important than the Home
Minister...we want to know by what time the National
Population Register will be ready," party chief spokesperson
Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters here.
He said the insistence by the Planning Commission to
enroll identities beyond its initial mandate of 20 crore to
ensure benefit of welfare programmes to the right beneficiary
raises "disturbing questions."
"Can the issue of development be divorced from securities
issues? Welfare programmes are financed from tax payers`
money. Why should it go to those who have got no legal status
to stay in India? There are already reports that in many parts
of the country including North?East, illegal immigrants have
manipulated documents to corner benefits meant for the poor as
also voting rights," he said.
Prasad said in this light the turf war between the
Planning Commission and the Home Ministry on such a sensitive
issue was "very unfortunate."
He said even the Parliamentary Standing committee on
Finance had recently criticised the UID Bill that in substance
gives statutory status to the UIDAI "which means overlapping
with the National Population Register (NPR) which is also
engaged in collection of biometric data."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?