Advance booking period for train tickets reduced to 60 days
New Delhi: Railways has reduced advance booking period from four months to two months from May 1 as part of its efforts to prevent touts from cornering bulk of tickets.
The advance reservation period (ARP) for booking reserved train tickets will be reduced from existing 120 days to 60 days (excluding the date of journey) from May 1, according to a Railway notification issued today.
However, all the bookings done up to April 30 under the existing ARP of 120 days will remain intact.
"The reduction of advance reservation period to 60 days will be a deterrent for touts who book bulk tickets in advance. We hope the reduction of booking period will help genuine travellers," a senior Railways official said.
"It has been found that passengers generally book their tickets two months in advance before the journey," the official said.
Cancellation of the booking made beyond the ARP of 60 days will, however, be permitted. There will be no change in the case of ARP limit of 360 days for foreign tourists.
Currently, tatkal tickets are issued only on the production of self-attested photocopy of a valid identity proof. No agents are allowed to book tatkal tickets from 10 AM to 12 PM over the internet.
Railways conduct regular raids at rail stations to keep a check on tout menace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31