Advani attacks Sonia on corruption issue
Jaipur: BJP leader L K Advani on friday
questioned Congress President Sonia Gandhi`s "silence" on
corruption issue and asked what she was doing as UPA`s "most
powerful leader" to curb the menace.
"Corruption has been an issue that has been widely
discussed in every town and city in recent times. But why is
the Congress President silent on the issue?" Advani said while
addressing a press conference here.
"Why have steps to curb corruption not been taken? As far
as the Prime Minister is concerned, it has been said that
whatever the DMK ministers had done was after permission from
the Prime Minister or other senior ministers. I demand that
the Congress President breaks her silence on this subject," he
Advani, in a written statement, referred to Gandhi`s
speech read out in her absence in Uttarakhand on Wednesday and
said she had stated that corruption cannot be removed by
"I totally agree with her and raise a counter question.
What she is doing as the most powerful leader of the UPA
government to contain corruption?" he asked.
He said, "Right from 2G spectrum scam to Commonwealth
(Games and) a host of other instances of rampant corruption,
she has maintained not only silence but gross indifference.
Had she asserted her authority in time in an effective manner,
much of public revenue would not have been plundered.
"Even now explosive evidence is emerging against senior
ministers of the Congress in the 2G scam and gross impropriety
of a Congress chief minister in the Commonwealth scam and yet
they are being defended in the most shameful manner while
Sonia Gandhi maintains her silence and inaction," he alleged.
Advani said, "Therefore, she cannot escape her own
responsibility, obligation and accountability. The nation will
draw its own inference."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!