Advani attends launch of Jaswant`s book on Jinnah
New Delhi: Reflecting a change in BJP`s
attitude, top party leader L K Advani was tonight present at a
function where Jaswant Singh released the paper-back edition
of his controversial book on Pakistan founder Mohd Ali Jinnah.
The occasion was the 75th anniversary celebrations of the
publication group `Rupa` here where the paper-back edition of
Advani`s autobiography `My Country, My Life` was also
Two days after his controversial book `Jinnah: India,
Partition, Independence` was launched in the capital, Singh
was expelled from BJP for his views on the Pakistan founder.
No senior BJP leaders had at that time attended the
function. Advani was in Chandigarh while leaders who were in
Delhi were conspicuous by their absence while George Fernandez
was prominent among those present.
Advani too had to step down as BJP chief in the wake of
his remarks praising Jinnah during a tour of Pakistan.
After his expulsion and party-ruled Gujarat banning his
book which praised Jinnah, Jaswant had termed BJP as
"narrow-minded" party with "limited thought".
However, Singh was readmitted to the party this year.
It was a study in contrast tonight as Singh sat beside
Advani at the function -- a seminar on future of boooks --
which was also attended by writer-minister M Veerappa Moily,
Gulzar, Ruskin Bond, Mark Tully, M J Akbar and Chetan Bhagat.
Incidentally, Akbar and Tully were present last time.
Singh`s praise of Jinnah and not-so-sympathetic view
of the first Home Minister Sardar Vallabhai Patel, whom BJP
considers as an iconic figure, with regard to the Partition of
India and Pakistan had irked his party.
In the book, Singh claimed that former Prime Minister
Jawaharlal Nehru`s centralised policy was responsible for the
Partition and that Jinnah was portrayed as a demon by India
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?