Advani calls for reforms in election system
Yamunanagar (Haryana): Emphasising on the need
for a change in the election system, Leader of the Opposition
LK Advani urged the Centre and Election Commission to make
efforts, so that general and assembly elections could be held
Addressing an election rally here, Advani said, "By this
the democracy in the country will get stronger, wasteful
expenditure will be decreased and there will be a saving of
The senior BJP leader assured that if Prime Minister Dr
Manmohan Singh introduces such a reform, he will get complete
support from his party and if a need arises for any amendment
in the Act through Parliament, then the saffron party will
extend complete support.
He said that wrong traditions are being followed since
1971, as sometimes there are general elections and sometimes
"By this, hindrances are coming in the way of development
and democratic system of the country is getting weaker," he
said, adding before 1971 there was a system that the assembly
and general elections were conducted simultaneously.
Accusing the Congress, the BJP leader said that it was
the Congress government, in 1971 under late Indira Gandhi laid
down "wrong foundation of conducting general and assembly
elections on separate schedules, which is still being followed
in the country."
Expressing concern about increasing casteism and
dynasty politics in the country, Advani said that it is not
only weakening the democracy but is also internally damaging
"According to the Human Development Index, today we stand
at 135th position on the basis of level of development, while
during the NDA`s rule, the country was ranked 115th on this
He also lamented on the shortage of essential commodities
throughout the country and the rising unemployment and said,
"The increase in prices of sugar, pulses, potatoes and onions
has disturbed the budget of a common man and has exposed the
Centre`s ineffective policies before all."
Urging the people to vote out the Congress, Advani said,
"In the name of SEZ, the government is giving benefits
to its favourite industrialists at the cost of farmers."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands