Advani confident of Lokpal being passed in Parl
Pune: BJP leader L K Advani on Friday exuded
confidence that the Lokpal Bill will be passed in the Winter
Session of Parliament, but said corruption in the country was
not because of inadequacy of laws.
"I don’t think why it should not be accepted and passed. I
believe that if the Congress and the BJP agree on something,
it is done. We had helped in getting passed the resolution
that Team Anna wanted. If we did not agree, it would not have
happened," he told reporters here on Friday.
Asked if the Lokpal Bill will help curb corruption in the
country, Advani said, "I do not believe that corruption in the
country is because of inadequacy of laws.
"I do not subscribe to this view basically," he said.
Advani said even though Anna Hazare’s Jan Lokpal Bill had
four basic shortcomings, he had asked even his party
colleagues not to point out these shortcomings publicly,
because Hazare’s campaign was against corruption.
He said when Anna’s team had come to meet us to discuss
the issue, four basic flaws in the Jan Lokpal Bill had been
told to them, to which they agreed.
He, however, stressed that the Prime Minister should come
under the Lokpal.
Advani said the party’s focus in the ensuing Winter
Session of Parliament would be on inflation, corruption and
Stating that high food inflation was causing agony to the
poor, he hoped that most of the opposition parties will also
support them in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections