Advani confident of Lokpal being passed in Parl
Pune: BJP leader L K Advani on Friday exuded
confidence that the Lokpal Bill will be passed in the Winter
Session of Parliament, but said corruption in the country was
not because of inadequacy of laws.
"I don’t think why it should not be accepted and passed. I
believe that if the Congress and the BJP agree on something,
it is done. We had helped in getting passed the resolution
that Team Anna wanted. If we did not agree, it would not have
happened," he told reporters here on Friday.
Asked if the Lokpal Bill will help curb corruption in the
country, Advani said, "I do not believe that corruption in the
country is because of inadequacy of laws.
"I do not subscribe to this view basically," he said.
Advani said even though Anna Hazare’s Jan Lokpal Bill had
four basic shortcomings, he had asked even his party
colleagues not to point out these shortcomings publicly,
because Hazare’s campaign was against corruption.
He said when Anna’s team had come to meet us to discuss
the issue, four basic flaws in the Jan Lokpal Bill had been
told to them, to which they agreed.
He, however, stressed that the Prime Minister should come
under the Lokpal.
Advani said the party’s focus in the ensuing Winter
Session of Parliament would be on inflation, corruption and
Stating that high food inflation was causing agony to the
poor, he hoped that most of the opposition parties will also
support them in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks