Advani crediting me on ordinance is speculation: Pranab Mukherjee
On Board Special Aircraft: President Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday described as speculation LK Advani crediting him for the withdrawal of the ordinance on convicted lawmakers, saying he had nothing to do with the development.
"I cannot comment on the views of the opposition. Whoever wanted to seek appointment with me, I gave them. BJP leaders met me, Aam Aadmi Party met me. I received various representations (against the ordinance)," he told reporters on board his special aircraft during the second leg of his visit to Belgium and Turkey.
"I had a discussion with the Prime Minister and what transpired everyone of you knows. Cabinet is the mother of the ordinance," he said, adding that the Cabinet, in its wisdom, decided to withdraw the ordinance at its meeting on October 2.
"This is the fact. In between who is responsible, how responsible, to what extent responsible, these are speculations of individuals. I have nothing to do with it," he said.
BJP leader Advani yesterday credited the President for the withdrawal of the ordinance and slammed Rahul Gandhi for "rubbing off the authority" of the Prime Minister and the UPA with his strong words.
"The victory that has come to the country by withdrawal of this illegal and immoral ordinance has thus been thanks only to the Rashtrapati, who has proved that UPA would err seriously if it assumed that like most other Congressmen who had earlier occupied the high office of President, he too would remain a rubber stamp President," Advani said in a post on his blog.
Mukherjee also laughed away Belgian King Philippe`s description of him as a "consensus builder in India" and said there was "nothing to read in between" the remark.
"What King Philippe meant was my (earlier) role in being the leader of the coalition in the House (Lok Sabha) and nothing more than that," he said when he was asked if the monarch`s words referred to the role he might play after the 2014 General Election.
Mukherjee today reached Turkey, the second leg of his tour, after a four-day visit to Belgium where he attended a host of state events and held talks with top leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back