Advani credits President for ordinance withdrawal, says Sonia must share the blame
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
New Delhi: The UPA government continues to face flak over the Ordinance on convicted lawmakers blunder.
The latest to join the bandwagon hitting out at the UPA is BJP veteran LK Advani, who has described the entire episode as "yet another ugly chapter in the unflattering history of the UPA Government".
In his latest blog, the senior BJP leader blames Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi for part of the mess.
Titled It’s Pranab da, not Rahul, who saved the situation, the blog says it was President Pranab Mukherjee who came to the rescue and not Rahul Gandhi as being projected.
"With the Cabinet deciding on Wednesday to withdraw the Ordinance as well as the Bill pending before Parliament in respect of convicted MPs and MLAs yet another ugly chapter in the unflattering history of the UPA Government has ended," Advani writes.
It may be recalled that Rahul had dubbed the ordinance as "nonsense" which should be "torn up and thrown away". The remarks came when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, whose cabinet promulgated the Ordinance, was away in the United States for the UN General Assembly.
When the PM arrived, he met Rahul, Pranab and his Cabinet, which decided to withdraw the Ordinance.
Advani also slammed Rahul for "rubbing off the authority" of the PM and the UPA with his strong words.
"The victory that has come to the country by withdrawal of this illegal and immoral ordinance has thus been thanks only to the Rashtrapati, who has proved that UPA would err seriously if it assumed that like most other Congressmen who had earlier occupied the high office of President, he too would remain a rubber stamp President," Advani wrote.
"So, the nonsense slur hurled at the Cabinet approved ordinance cannot apply only to the PM and his Ministers. Soniaji must also share responsibility."
The BJP leader noted that Rahul did not give a single argument why he felt the Ordinance was wrong. He wondered "what was there in this outburst which the PM could possibly discuss with his Cabinet".
He said that after the President got into the act, "it is then perhaps that Soniaji may have thought of doing some damage control using Rahul for the purpose".
Advani also hit out at the media, saying, "That most of the media reports on this development have described it as a victory for Rahul Gandhi is a comment on how superficial the media generally has become these days."
Speculation was rife that the entire Rahul episode was orchestrated to give credit to the Congress V-P for withdrawing the Ordinance, which was already in limbo after the opposition parties petitioned the President against the move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'