Advani demands revival of Inter-State Council
New Delhi: Accusing the UPA government of
putting under threat the country`s federal structure, senior
BJP leader L K Advani on Wednesday demanded revival of the
Inter-State Council to discuss issues and grievances of the
In his latest blog posting, Advani maintained that in
1983, the Sarkaria Commission- set-up by then Prime Minister
Indira Gandhi- had stated that post-1967 there were state
governments of diverse hues having different views on regional
and inter-state problems.
This has made the need for setting up an Inter-State
Council "an imperative necessity", it said.
The senior BJP leader said though Article 263 of the
Constitution recommends formation of an Inter-State Council,
it was formed only in 1990. Even after formation it remained
defunct till 1998, he said.
"As Home Minister in Atal Bihari Vajpayee`s government
formed in 1998, I was able to revive it, and during the NDA`s
tenure meetings were held almost every year. All chief
ministers were members of this Inter-State Council, apart from
several Union ministers nominated by the Prime Minister,"
He insisted that all 247 recommendations of the
Sarkaria Commission were considered and final decisions taken
in several meetings of the Inter-State Council held during
Vajpayee`s tenure as Prime Minister.
BJP has been critical of the Centre for its
"step-brotherly" treatment to states where it is in power.
Recently it cried foul on the cutting down of kerosene quota
of Gujarat, and the actions of Karnataka Governor H R Bhardwaj
who had recommended imposition of President`s Rule in the
The opposition party had passed a resolution on the UPA
government being a "grave threat" to the federal structure, at
its National Executive Meeting in Lucknow.
"An important resolution adopted was the one which very
powerfully dealt with the continuing disregard of federalism
by the present Union Government. The resolution was eloquently
presented by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendrabhai Modi, and
adopted unanimously by the Executive," Advani said.
Greater empowerment of the Inter-State Council is a
prominent part of this resolution.
"No meeting of the Inter-State Council has been held
since 2006. It is high time the Council is convened," Advani
said on his blog.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India