Advani faces slogan shouting crowds in Amritsar
Amritsar: BJP leader Lal Krishna Advani
on Tuesday faced hostile crowds of workers of some Akali Dal
factions during his visit to the Golden Temple when he was
greeted by slogans.
In the morning, when Advani entered the periphery of the
Golden Temple to pay obeisance, he was greeted with slogans of
Khalistan raised by activists associated with former MP
Simranjit Singh Mann.
Men of the SGPC task force escorted Advani into the
sanctum sanctorum, while Police Commissioner R P Mittal was
present to oversee the security.
Advani, his wife Kamala and daughter Pratibha were
offered Siropa at the information centre of the temple.
The BJP leader faced angry protests from President of
Shiromani Akali Dal (Delhi) Jaswinder Singh who was present
there with dozens of his supporters.
Earlier, Singh and AISSF President Karnail Singh
Peermohammad, in a memorandum submitted before the Jathedar of
Akal Takht, said that the rally of Advani should be boycotted
in Amritsar since he had claimed he had a hand in the Indian
government`s military action on Harmandir Sahib in June 1984.
When asked about his views on Operation Blue Star on the
Golden Temple in 1984, Advani walked away with folded hands.
Earlier, last evening during his arrival at the rally
venue in the city Advani was greeted with the slogans of
`Khalistan Zindabad` by radical Sikhs who were rounded up by
the police immediate after.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray