Advani has conceded defeat for 2014 LS polls: Cong, SP
New Delhi: Congress and other parties on Sunday took a dig at BJP leader LK Advani saying he has conceded defeat even before the race has begun for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections while some BJP leaders differed with him.
Reacting to Advani`s latest blog posting, Congress said Advani has given up the fight by casting doubts over his party`s ability.
"I can say about this blog that Advani himself has conceded defeat by saying there is a possibility that there can`t be a BJP Prime Minister in 2014. It means he has conceded defeat," Congress leader Rajiv Shukla told reporters here.
After this blog, how will a BJP candidate win? he asked. Advani had similarly predicted defeat for Congress before 2004 and 2009 elections but it came to power both the times, he said.
Terming the BJP leader as a "reluctant general" going to war, Shukla said, "If anybody is reluctant then how can anyone win the war. What kind of a general is he who concedes defeat even before the battle?"
Another Congress leader Satyavrat Chaturvedi said Advani`s statement reflected internal rift in his party and recalled the predictions made by him before 2004 and 2009 elections.
BJP National Vice President Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said there is a strong anti-Congress wave blowing in the country and BJP and NDA will get majority.
Samajwadi Party leader Mohan Singh also toed the line taken by Shukla and said, "Even before the elections, BJP has conceded defeat."
Sharad Yadav, who heads the JD-U, an NDA ally, refused to indulge in speculation ahead of the 2014 polls.
But, JD-U leader from Bihar Neeraj Kumar said, "We need a secular leader as PM and one who is sympathetic towards the cause of the backward classes."
Advani had in his blog today talked about the possibility of a non-Congress, non-BJP Prime Minister heading the government after the 2014 general elections with the help of these two principal parties.
He also cited examples of Charan Singh, Chandrashekhar, HD Deve Gowda and IK Gujral - all supported by Congress - as well as VP Singh who became Prime Minister with BJP support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal