Advani is the best PM candidate: Shatrughan Sinha
New Delhi: Outspoken BJP MP Shatrughan Sinha has caused more embarrassment to his party, saying during a TV interview that senior leader L K Advani was best suited to be the party`s prime ministerial candidate.
He also said on Friday that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi should not have been made the party`s 2014 election committee chief.
In an interview to a news channel, the Bharatiya Janata Party MP from Patna Sahib in Bihar said: "If popularity is the criterion (to choose Modi) then Amitabh Bachchan should have been made this country`s president".
Narendra Modi, 63, was appointed the party`s campaign committee chief for the 2014 General Elections in BJP`s deliberations at Panaji in Goa June last. He is widely thought to be tipped to be the BJP`s prime ministerial candidate.
Sinha caused a flutter two days ago by saying that Janata Dal-United leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar was "PM material".
He claimed that the after-effects of naming Modi the party`s election committee chief was beginning to show. "It has led to the sidelining of important issues like corruption and price rise," he said.
Backing Advani for the top job, the actor-turned-politician said that the veteran BJP leader was the best candidate for the job in every respect, whether one considered experience or popularity.
Asked about Advani`s advanced age, Sinha replied that if Manmohan Singh could become prime minister, then why not Advani. Manmohan Singh is 80 years old, Advani 85.
Asked for the reasons why he criticised Modi, Sinha said he has been speaking the truth. He asserted that if speaking the truth was being a rebel, then he would be happy to be called one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad