Advani is the best PM candidate: Shatrughan Sinha
New Delhi: Outspoken BJP MP Shatrughan Sinha has caused more embarrassment to his party, saying during a TV interview that senior leader L K Advani was best suited to be the party`s prime ministerial candidate.
He also said on Friday that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi should not have been made the party`s 2014 election committee chief.
In an interview to a news channel, the Bharatiya Janata Party MP from Patna Sahib in Bihar said: "If popularity is the criterion (to choose Modi) then Amitabh Bachchan should have been made this country`s president".
Narendra Modi, 63, was appointed the party`s campaign committee chief for the 2014 General Elections in BJP`s deliberations at Panaji in Goa June last. He is widely thought to be tipped to be the BJP`s prime ministerial candidate.
Sinha caused a flutter two days ago by saying that Janata Dal-United leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar was "PM material".
He claimed that the after-effects of naming Modi the party`s election committee chief was beginning to show. "It has led to the sidelining of important issues like corruption and price rise," he said.
Backing Advani for the top job, the actor-turned-politician said that the veteran BJP leader was the best candidate for the job in every respect, whether one considered experience or popularity.
Asked about Advani`s advanced age, Sinha replied that if Manmohan Singh could become prime minister, then why not Advani. Manmohan Singh is 80 years old, Advani 85.
Asked for the reasons why he criticised Modi, Sinha said he has been speaking the truth. He asserted that if speaking the truth was being a rebel, then he would be happy to be called one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India