Advani laments people preferred Cong in LS polls
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader LK Advani
on Saturday lamented that people preferred Congress to BJP in the
Lok Sabha polls even as he credited his party with
establishing a bipolar polity in the country.
"Election results have shown that the electorate
preferred bigger parties and rejected smaller ones. Only
Congress and BJP won more than 100 seats... but people
preferred Congress over BJP as we had little presence in 150
seats spread across states like Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra
Pradesh and West Bengal," he said.
The Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha was
addressing the National Executive meeting of BJP`s Scheduled
He said that by including all sections of the society,
BJP can emerge as the number one party in the country.
"In the last Parliamentary Elections, smaller parties
with a strong base in their respective states were hoping that
they could form a government at the Centre. But people
rejected them and voted for two big political parties," he
The BJP leader said the biggest achievement of his
party was creation of a bipolar polity in the country. "We
ended the domination of Congress...earlier, it was Congress
versus various smaller parties," he added.
Advani said unlike some political parties who use
certain sections of the society as a vote bank, BJP believed
in involving them in the development of the country.
"Some parties may use an organisation of dacoits and
robbers if it can help gain more votes," he said, without
naming any party.
Advani said "inclusive growth" of the country was not
possible without involving all sections of the society. "This
is what we have been taught by leaders like Shyama Prasad
Mookherjee, Deen Dayal Upadhyay and Atal Bihari Vajpayee."
He said real development meant that people from the SC
and ST community, rural youth and women reaped the benefits of
The BJP leader reminded the audience that the party
had its share of ups and downs in its political history and
cited its performance in the 1984 Lok Sabha polls when the
party bagged only two seats but took its tally to 89 in the
next General Elections, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof