Advani skips annual visit to Somnath temple
Ahmedabad: LK Advani, who launches a yatra
against corruption from Bihar next month, on Sunday skipped his
annual visit to the famous Somnath temple to mark the
anniversary of the rathyatra which he had started for the
construction of a Ram temple in Ayodhya in the 1990s.
The BJP veteran had made it a point to visit Somnath
temple on September 25, the day on which he started his famous
rathyatara, every year since 1990 to seek the blessings of
The rathyatra aimed at mustering support for the
construction of a Ram temple in Ayodhya, had stirred the
country`s political scenario in the 1990s, besides acting as a
catalyst to many events that followed.
State BJP sources said Advani may have skipped his annual
visit to Somnath today due to preparations for his forthcoming
anti-corruption yatra starting on October 11 from Bihar`s
Sitabdiara village, the birthplace of veteran socialist
The BJP veteran`s rathyatra will be flagged off by
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who during the last
Assembly elections had not allowed his Gujarat counterpart
Narendra Modi to campaign in the state.
The state BJP unit had earlier expected to call Advani
to attend the mega rally organised by the party today on the
outskirts of the city demanding recall of Gujarat governor.
However, as Advani had decided not to come to Somnath
temple this year, they had dropped the idea, sources in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport