Advani suggests event in Chicago on Vivekananda`s teachings
Mumbai: BJP leader L K Advani on Saturday said he has suggested to President Pranab Mukherjee that he and his US counterpart Barack Obama should address a gathering in Chicago on the teachings of Swami Vivekananda, whose 150th birth anniversary year is being celebrated in the country.
"During my meeting with President Pranab Mukherjee recently, I suggested that the Indian President and his US counterpart, who incidentally hails from Chicago, address a gathering there on Vivekananda`s teachings," Advani said.
He was speaking to reporters at the 87th birth anniversary celebrations of late BJP leader Hashu Advani, at the Vivekananda Education Society campus in Chembur here.
"The President told me that he would pursue the matter," Advani said.
Advani said such an event would be appropriate as it was at the World`s Parliament of Religions in Chicago in 1893 that Vivekananda gave his famous address, which started with the words, "dear brothers and sisters of America".
In his address, Vivekananda highlighted various aspects of Hinduism and emphasised on religious tolerance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal