Advani suggests event in Chicago on Vivekananda`s teachings
Mumbai: BJP leader L K Advani on Saturday said he has suggested to President Pranab Mukherjee that he and his US counterpart Barack Obama should address a gathering in Chicago on the teachings of Swami Vivekananda, whose 150th birth anniversary year is being celebrated in the country.
"During my meeting with President Pranab Mukherjee recently, I suggested that the Indian President and his US counterpart, who incidentally hails from Chicago, address a gathering there on Vivekananda`s teachings," Advani said.
He was speaking to reporters at the 87th birth anniversary celebrations of late BJP leader Hashu Advani, at the Vivekananda Education Society campus in Chembur here.
"The President told me that he would pursue the matter," Advani said.
Advani said such an event would be appropriate as it was at the World`s Parliament of Religions in Chicago in 1893 that Vivekananda gave his famous address, which started with the words, "dear brothers and sisters of America".
In his address, Vivekananda highlighted various aspects of Hinduism and emphasised on religious tolerance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital