Advani suggests event in Chicago on Vivekananda`s teachings
Mumbai: BJP leader L K Advani on Saturday said he has suggested to President Pranab Mukherjee that he and his US counterpart Barack Obama should address a gathering in Chicago on the teachings of Swami Vivekananda, whose 150th birth anniversary year is being celebrated in the country.
"During my meeting with President Pranab Mukherjee recently, I suggested that the Indian President and his US counterpart, who incidentally hails from Chicago, address a gathering there on Vivekananda`s teachings," Advani said.
He was speaking to reporters at the 87th birth anniversary celebrations of late BJP leader Hashu Advani, at the Vivekananda Education Society campus in Chembur here.
"The President told me that he would pursue the matter," Advani said.
Advani said such an event would be appropriate as it was at the World`s Parliament of Religions in Chicago in 1893 that Vivekananda gave his famous address, which started with the words, "dear brothers and sisters of America".
In his address, Vivekananda highlighted various aspects of Hinduism and emphasised on religious tolerance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena