Advani turns emotional at Udupi
Udupi: BJP leader L K Advani on Monday turned emotional while Vande Mataram was being sung at a
public rally in Udupi as part of his yatra and complimented
the artistes with moist eyes.
During the rendition of the national song, the 83-year-old
was seen wiping his tears. He asked for the singer Ravindra
Prabhu, who alongwith a local orchestra team prsented the
song, and blessed the group.
Addressing the rally, Advani reminded them that Udupi had
a special significance in the history of the Bharatiya
Jan Sangh, after which the Bharatiya Janata Party was formed.
He said the Municipal Corporation of Udupi was first won
by the Jan Sangh in 1968, which heralded its growth in
Southern India, and "it continues to carry on this hold till
Advani also said that had learnt signing his name in
Kannada while in jail in Bangalore during the Emergency days.
Advani said he was jailed for 19 months during Eemergency.
The Udupi Parliamentary constituency is currently
represented by Karnataka chief minister D V Sadananda Gowda,
who replaced chief minister Y S Yeddyurappa following
his indictment by Lokayukta . He is since lodged in jail after
registration of a case against him.
After the public meeting at Udupi, Advani also paid
obeisance at the Udupi Sri Krishna Matha, a famous Hindu
temple dedicated to Lord Krishna. The Matha area resembles a
Surrounding the Sri Krishna Matha are several temples, the
most ancient being made of basic wood and stone of 1,500
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family