Advisory on social media for Hindi-speaking states only: MHA
New Delhi: Government today hit back at the opposition parties saying the controversy over promotion of Hindi on social media platform was "wrong and unwarranted" and the circular for giving prominence to the language was issued by the previous UPA dispensation.
It also made it clear that the new government has no intention to impose Hindi on non-Hindi speaking states and wants promotion of all Indian languages in equal footing.
At a hurriedly called press conference, Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju said the circular to give prominence to use of Hindi in social media was issued by the previous regime on March 10, this year, "much before the Narendra Modi government assumed charge".
"It was a circular meant for Hindi-speaking states. The government is clear not to impose Hindi on non-Hindi-speaking states. A wrong and unwarranted controversy is being generated as there was no directive to impose Hindi," he said.
The normal and routine circular was only reissued on May 27, he said, adding "an attempt is being made to divide the country and create a sense of insecurity.
The comments from the Minister came after parties in Tamil Nadu, including AIADMK and DMK, and CPI(M) opposed it strongly and Congress advised caution on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview