Aero India begins with awe-inspiring show
Bangalore: The ninth edition of the biennial Aero India took off Wednesday on a "flying" note with a stunning display of fighters, choppers and transport aircraft at the Indian Air Force (IAF) Yelahanka base on the city outskirts.
On a bright sunny day under a clear sky, Defence Minister AK Antony flagged off the five-day international event in the presence of foreign delegations, envoys, diplomats, service personnel and other dignitaries from across the country and abroad.
Soon after the formal opening and customary addresses, about 5,000 invitees were treated to over hour-long flying display of various aircraft starting with the IAF vintage Tigermoth trainer followed by the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas, French fighter Rafale, Sukhoi, Mirage 2000 and Hawk jet trainer.
In between, the aerobatic team of Flying Bulls from Czech Republic enthralled the audience with daring feats in four aircraft, demonstrating skills by flying in formations, rolling and crossing over with amazing manoeuvres.
Aerobatics by IAF`s Sarang team in Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) made up for the absence of the show star aerobatic team of Surya Kirans, which have been grounded.
Billed as the largest event of its kind in South Asia, the international expo on aerospace, defence and civil aviation is showcasing the latest products and technologies through 650 exhibitors from 27 nations, including Belgium, UK, Bulgaria, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Russia and Ukraine.
Union Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh, Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne, defence secretary Shashikant Sharma, defence production secretary RK Mathur, Defence Research and Development Organisation and Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Ficci) and HSBC country head Naina Lal Kidwai were among those present at the inaugural ceremony.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram