Aero India begins with awe-inspiring show
Bangalore: The ninth edition of the biennial Aero India took off Wednesday on a "flying" note with a stunning display of fighters, choppers and transport aircraft at the Indian Air Force (IAF) Yelahanka base on the city outskirts.
On a bright sunny day under a clear sky, Defence Minister AK Antony flagged off the five-day international event in the presence of foreign delegations, envoys, diplomats, service personnel and other dignitaries from across the country and abroad.
Soon after the formal opening and customary addresses, about 5,000 invitees were treated to over hour-long flying display of various aircraft starting with the IAF vintage Tigermoth trainer followed by the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas, French fighter Rafale, Sukhoi, Mirage 2000 and Hawk jet trainer.
In between, the aerobatic team of Flying Bulls from Czech Republic enthralled the audience with daring feats in four aircraft, demonstrating skills by flying in formations, rolling and crossing over with amazing manoeuvres.
Aerobatics by IAF`s Sarang team in Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) made up for the absence of the show star aerobatic team of Surya Kirans, which have been grounded.
Billed as the largest event of its kind in South Asia, the international expo on aerospace, defence and civil aviation is showcasing the latest products and technologies through 650 exhibitors from 27 nations, including Belgium, UK, Bulgaria, France, Germany, Israel, Italy, Russia and Ukraine.
Union Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh, Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne, defence secretary Shashikant Sharma, defence production secretary RK Mathur, Defence Research and Development Organisation and Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Ficci) and HSBC country head Naina Lal Kidwai were among those present at the inaugural ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next