AFSPA required in certain areas: Gen VK Singh
New Delhi: Amid renewed demands for the repeal of the controversial AFSPA, Army Chief Gen VK Singh on Monday said the law was a functional requirement for the armed forces in certain areas.
"Everyone knows what our view is on this subject. It is based on functional requirement and how the Army is supposed to be in a particular area," he told reporters here when asked to comment on the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA).
"It would be better if you ask the Home Ministry on this issue," Singh said when asked whether laws like AFSPA were required in the backdrop of Taliban attacks in Afghanistan and their likely impact in India.
The General said that Defence Minister AK Antony had asked the armed forces to monitor the happenings in the neighbourhood as its fallout could be felt in the country someday or other.
"We are discussing all kinds of issues and this would be a part of the overall discussion," Singh said when asked about delay in defence acquisition.
"Absolutely, a lot of work is being done," was Singh`s reply to a question on whether enough was being done to provide weapons to modernise the Army.
The Army Chief, in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in March, had said that India`s security may be at risk as tanks were running out of ammunition, air defence was becoming obsolete and the infantry lacked critical weapons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing