After 2-year wait, Aga delivers maiden speech in Rajya Sabha
New Delhi: Nominated member Anu Aga expressed profound disappointment over having to wait for two-long years till on Thursday to make her maiden speech in the Rajya Sabha due to "frequent disruptions"
"I am disappointed... I have to wait for two years to give my maiden speech. There were frequent adjournments and turmoil in the House and I did not get a chance," Aga said in the Upper House in her maiden speech while participating in a discussion on Budget.
Expressing concern over deteriorating primary and secondary education in the country, Aga, nominated as Rajya Sabha member in May 2012, welcomed certain Budget proposals including an allocation of Rs 500 crore for `Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya New Teachers Training Programme`.
The quality of public schools has gone down and there is a need to take bold steps to reform public education in order to reduce the divide between public and private schools, the industrialist and social worker said.
Stressing the need to improve quality of school teachers as well, Aga said "a degree itself does make a teacher... A non-B Ed teacher can do a better job. There is a need to tranform the teachers training institutes."
"We have also failed to create opportunity for children to study beyond primary level," the member said.
Aga said there is a need to work together to address the problems in the education system irrespective of social background.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’