After Alemao`s exit, Congress shuts door on defectors
Panaji: Congress today permanently shut doors on former Goa chief minister Churchill Alemao, saying that deserters would not be allowed in the party again.
All India Congress Committee Secretary A Chellakumar who is in Goa to participate in the Lok sabha election campaign told reporters that those who left the party won`t be re-admitted.
"Congress leader Rahul Gandhi during Jaipur Conference had endorsed this view," he said.
Alemao, a former Congressman quit the party to join Trinamool Congress, and filed his nomination today from South Goa constituency against Congress candidate Aleixo Reginaldo Lourenco, BJP`s Narendra Sawaikar and AAP`s Swati Kerkar.
Goa Congress chief John Fernandes had in recent past claimed that Pradesh Congress Committee will move a resolution seeking permanent ban on defectors.
The Congress party which is facing rebellion after the ticket distribution has began parleys with the dissidents.
Chellakumar said that he met sitting MP Fransisco Sardinha, who was denied ticket in South Goa and convinced him to support the party candidate.
Sardinha has agreed to campaign for the party, he added.
"Selection of candidate is the discretion of the central election committee. We give chance to experienced and also new faces," Chellakumar commented.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'