After Cabinet reshuffle, Congress set for ‘Rahul era`
New Delhi: Post Cabinet rejig, all eyes are on the much awaited makeover of the Congress party under Rahul Gandhi’s leadership.
As with the Cabinet reshuffle, the party will also see a major generational change, the beginning of the ‘Rahul era’ with the Gandhi scion to be named Congress’ working president or secretary general.
The two posts have rarely been used in Congress except in political exigencies. Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna became `secretary general` after his homecoming to Congress in 1980, while Kamlapati Tripathi was named `working president` in 1983.
Rahul currently holds the position of party general secretary in-charge of youth outfits.
The Amethi MP will oversee a complete overhaul of the party structure. Contrary to expectation, Team Rahul members like Meenakshi Natarajan, Bhakta Charan Das and Ashok Tanwar were not inducted in the Cabinet as they are set to play a key role in the new dispensation.
As per reports, the changes would be announced as early as within the next few days.
Rahul had took an active interest and helped promote young ministers and induct many others.
Yesterday’s was the third Cabinet rejig since the UPA II government came to power in 2009 and possibly the last one before the 2014 general elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh