After Dantewada fiasco, IAF takes steps for choppers` safety
Raipur (Chhattisgarh): The IAF, which faced flak after its personnel abandoned an injured policeman in a chopper crippled in Naxal firing, has now begun flying double sorties to many areas and more commandos for its air support missions in anti-Naxal operations to prevent such incidents.
The sortie routes of the Indian Air Force (IAF) helicopters are being sanitised by UAVs in advance and it has doubled the strength of on-board `Garuda` commandos to four every time its Mi-17 choppers fly in remote and forested areas of Naxal violence affected states, official sources said.
A senior official in the anti-Naxal operations grid noted that the helicopters are under an "increased threat" from extremists.
The new operational procedures are being undertaken after the January 18 incident in Chhattisgarh`s Dantedwada where Maoist gunfire had forced an IAF Mi-17 helicopter to make emergency landing and the conduct of the on-board IAF men in abandoning the armed chopper, weapons and an injured state police wireless operator is being probed.
A Court of Inquiry is already underway to ascertain the role of the IAF men involved in this operation.
The sortie routes of the IAF helicopters are now being sanitised by UAVs in advance and in many cases two helicopters fly the same path, with one flying alongside the other in a secure formation, the sources said.
While two commandos man the LMG mounted on-board the chopper, two others armed with sophisticated rifles secure the machine after landing.
"The anti-Naxal operations are a dynamic state of affairs. There are regular intelligence inputs suggesting Naxal tactics and the helicopter sorties are surely under an increased threat," the official said.
The CRPF, which is the lead operations force against Maoists, is also deploying more men to secure the helipads during ascent and descent of helicopters that aid the operations by way of bringing in men and material besides evacuating casualties from conflict areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29