After DMK, UPA ally NCP says it is opposed to FDI
New Delhi: Even as it voted in favour of FDI in retail, UPA`s key constituent NCP Wednesday struck a discordant note by saying that it did not support implementation of the decision in Maharashtra.
"NCP does not support FDI in multi-brand retail," Patel, who is also the Union Minister for Heavy Industry, told reporters outside Parliament soon after its members voted in favour of the move in the Lok Sabha.
He said the decision to implement FDI in retail in Maharashtra would be taken after consultations with its coalition partner Congress.
Earlier participating in the debate in the Lok Sabha, Patel sought to differ with Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal, who had yesterday said the Maharashtra government had spoken in favour of FDI in retail.
Noting that FDI would be implemented only in cities with population more than 10 lakh, he said "it is possible that this experiment may not succeed. If this does not work out, then be it (NCP chief) Sharad Pawar or myself we can revise our opinion.
"In Maharashtra, we have a coalition government (with Congress). Kapilji, yesterday you had said that Maharashtra government has favoured FDI in retail.
"But, I would like to make it clear on behalf of my party, I wish to state that there is a coordination committee (in the state). We will meet, discuss its merits and demerits and then decide on our party`s stand which will be conveyed."
Yesterday, another key UPA constituent DMK had voiced its opposition to FDI in multi-brand retail.
DMK leader T K S Elangovan said the party was with the government because it had stated that FDI was the need of the hour to save the fiscal condition of the States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch