After DMK, UPA ally NCP says it is opposed to FDI
New Delhi: Even as it voted in favour of FDI in retail, UPA`s key constituent NCP Wednesday struck a discordant note by saying that it did not support implementation of the decision in Maharashtra.
"NCP does not support FDI in multi-brand retail," Patel, who is also the Union Minister for Heavy Industry, told reporters outside Parliament soon after its members voted in favour of the move in the Lok Sabha.
He said the decision to implement FDI in retail in Maharashtra would be taken after consultations with its coalition partner Congress.
Earlier participating in the debate in the Lok Sabha, Patel sought to differ with Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal, who had yesterday said the Maharashtra government had spoken in favour of FDI in retail.
Noting that FDI would be implemented only in cities with population more than 10 lakh, he said "it is possible that this experiment may not succeed. If this does not work out, then be it (NCP chief) Sharad Pawar or myself we can revise our opinion.
"In Maharashtra, we have a coalition government (with Congress). Kapilji, yesterday you had said that Maharashtra government has favoured FDI in retail.
"But, I would like to make it clear on behalf of my party, I wish to state that there is a coordination committee (in the state). We will meet, discuss its merits and demerits and then decide on our party`s stand which will be conveyed."
Yesterday, another key UPA constituent DMK had voiced its opposition to FDI in multi-brand retail.
DMK leader T K S Elangovan said the party was with the government because it had stated that FDI was the need of the hour to save the fiscal condition of the States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead