After Ganga, govt to form committee for cleansing of Yamuna river
New Delhi: Close to the heels of a secretaries-level group to rejuvenate Ganga river, Union Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti on Tuesday announced a separate committee for cleansing the polluted Yamuna river in Delhi.
"We have already formed a group comprising secretaries from the ministries of environment, transport, tourism and water resources to clean up Ganga. Similarly, we would be constituting a committee of officials from the ministries of Urban Development, Rural Development and Central Water Commission to cleanse Yamuna," Bharti told reporters here.
She was briefing reporters after planting saplings on the banks of Yamuna to mark the first anniversary of the tragedy in Uttarakhand last year, in which thousands of people were killed in the devastating deluge.
Pointing out that the officials from the three ministries would focus on developing Yamuna river, she said, people of Delhi would also be part of the programme to make it a people`s movement.
"Yesterday, I spoke to the Rural Development and Shipping Minister Nitin Gadkari and Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu. I have conveyed to them that the development of Delhi`s river banks must be river friendly," she added.
Bharti also reiterated the measures taken by her ministry in the aftermath of unprecedented floods in Uttarakhand in 2013.
"Directions have been given to water resources authorities to issue immediate warnings, if there is a rise in water levels in lakes with an area of over 50 hectare. The information would be passed onto the concerned state governments," she stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Turkey police detain 28 in raids on Erdogan foes
- AAP MLA arrested for sexual harassment, Kejriwal attacks PM with ''Emergency'' taunt
- Rahul Gandhi is in London with a special friend: Subramanian Swamy
- Death toll in Islamist attack in Somalia rises to 15: Police
- Britain's EU commissioner steps down after Brexit vote