After Modi, Rajnath reaches out to Mamata
New Delhi: Stepping up the party`s moves to reach out to TMC Chief Mamata Banerjee, BJP President Rajnath Singh on Wednesday talked to her over phone and condemned her heckling by CPI(M) protesters here while demanding a thorough probe into the incident.
Singh said he agreed with Mamata`s contention that Delhi was not a safe place and attacked the Congress-led UPA government over the situation in the national capital which he said was "slipping into a state of anarchy with each passing day".
"Whatever has happened with Mamataji and (West Bengal Finance Minister) Amit Mitra, I condemn it strongly. In clean politics, it is expected that if any political party or organisation wants to lodge its protest on an issue, there is a way to do so. But if anyone tries to lodge its protest by taking to violence, I feel the government should take stern steps against them," Singh said.
The BJP chief said "Delhi is slipping into a state of anarchy every passing day. When Chief Ministers and Finance Ministers are not safe in Delhi, then one can imagine how will the common man remain safe. I demand that there should be a proper investigation and action on this issue."
Singh alleged the situation in Delhi is such under the Congress-led UPA government that even Chief Ministers and Finance Ministers don`t feel safe.
BJP leaders have been trying to reach out to the TMC Chief in a bid to win her over ahead of next general elections.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi had yesterday commended Mamata government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30