After onion, tomato prices goes through roof
New Delhi: The government on Thursday said it will look into spiralling prices of tomato but made it clear that its exports are insignificant to impact domestic prices.
"Let me have a look at it," Commerce Secretary Rahul Khullar said when asked whether tomato exports would also be banned like onion`s, as its prices have shot up.
"Tomato export is allowed under the Open General Licence (OGL) But it is very small. Even, the domestic production is mostly consumed within the local growing area ... But it is not the same as onion," Khullar said in the presence of Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma.
In the case of onion, exports were about 1.8 million tonnes against the total domestic production of 12 million tonnes. However, the tomato exports were only 1 lakh tonne in relation to the total production of 12 million tonne.
Tomato prices have shot up to Rs 40 a kg in the retail markets in different cities, including the national capital.
It was selling at Rs 15-20 in the second week of this
month, traders said.
Some traders attributed the price rise to exports to
On price increase in other vegetables like garlic and
whether there was a cartel, Sharma said, "there have been
speculative hoardings. The state authorities will have to act
firmly ... We are not going to allow it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog