After Taj hotel, Headley visited Oberoi too: Investigators

Last Updated: Friday, November 20, 2009 - 21:06

Mumbai: American terror suspect David
Headley had also stayed at Oberoi besides the Taj--the two
hotels attacked on 26/11-- before the Mumbai carnage
reinforcing suspicion of his link with the audacious strike,
according to investigators on Friday.

Sources privy to the investigations said Headley stayed
at the Oberoi for four days in April last year after which he
left India reportedly for Pakistan through a Gulf country. The
exact dates of Headley`s stay were however not given.
The CCTV footage of the period mentioned as his stay in
the hotel could not be retrieved from the machines installed
at the hotel because of the time gap of nearly 19 months.
Thirty people were killed in the terror strikes at Oberoi and
Trident hotel.

Sources in the Oberoi said hotel records were minutely
checked after investigators found that Headley had stayed in
the Taj Mahal hotel which witnessed the longest battle between
the Lashker-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorists and security personnel.

With fresh evidence of Headley`s suspected link with
26/11 emerging, security agencies appeared to be convinced
each passing day about his role when the conspiracy to carry
out the terror attack was hatched. 183 people were killed in
the Mumbai attack.

During the probe it was found that Headley, arrested by
US investigating agency FBI for planning terror attacks in
India, stayed at Taj on two occasions for a total of nine
days. The Taj had bore the brunt of the three-day carnage
after terrorists struck Mumbai on November 26 last.

His accomplice Tahawwur Rana, a Pakistani-Candian, who
is also under FBI custody, had stayed in a guest house in
south Mumbai till November 21, 2008, before he flew to an
European destination on way back to Canada.
The sources said this has raised suspicion that he may
have given final touches to the audacious terror strikes that
also killed some American, British and Israeli nationals.

Headley had also stayed in two hotels in April last year
in Delhi`s Paharganj, a favourite of budget travellers from
abroad and recovered his passport details. However, his visit
to Delhi continued to remain a mystery for the investigators
who were yet to find out the reason for his trip to the
national capital.

National Investigating Agency and central security
agencies are now probing the travel details of both the
suspects to check if they had any hand in the 26/11 attack or
the serial bomb blasts in the country between 2006 and 2008.


Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.

First Published: Friday, November 20, 2009 - 21:06

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus