After VHP, RSS chief too backs Modi as PM
New Delhi: The clamour for making Narendra Modi as BJP’s prime ministerial candidate has become louder with the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) openly backing the Gujarat Chief Minister as their top choice for the 2014 polls.
Now, with its ideological fountainhead the RSS and its affiliate the VHP endorsing Modi’s name for the top job, the pressure has also increased on the BJP to formally declare him as its top choice for the 2014 polls, reports said on Friday.
RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat on Thursday virtually endorsed the Gujarat BJP leader, saying popular sentiments for him needed to be taken into account.
Speaking at a VHP gathering at the Maha Kumbh after sadhus raised slogans in Modi`s favour, Bhagwat said, "The mood in the country and popular sentiments in the party in favour of a particular political leader need to be taken into account while choosing a candidate to be projected as the future PM."
The remark is seen as a major indication that the larger Sangh Parivar may be coming around to projecting Modi as their choice for prime minister despite resistance from some top BJP leaders and allies like Nitish Kumar.
Addressing the VHP ‘Dharma Sansad’, a gathering of religious leaders, the RSS chief referred to the clamour for Modi as PM candidate at the meet and also elsewhere.
“People know what is in your heart. The whole country is echoing with the same voice,” Bhagwat said.
Earlier, when asked by reporters what he thought of Modi, Bhagwat said, “He is my friend”.
VHP leader Giriraj Kishore also joined the ‘Modi-for PM’ chorus, saying like Gujarat the whole country can benefit from his leadership as there has been tremendous development in the State under his rule.
The meeting yesterday saw some saints in the audience raising slogans in support of Modi as religious leaders gave their speeches. Bhagwat and VHP leaders Ashok Singhal and Parveen Togadia tried to pacify them with the RSS chief saying that the Sangh Parivar was ‘well aware of the people’s wishes’.
Togadia and Singhal requested that the ‘Dharma Sansad’ be allowed to remain focused on its agenda. Raising the Ayodhya issue in his address, Bhagwat said that the RSS was fully committed to construction of Ram Temple at Ramjanmbhoomi.
“It is the obligation of Parliament to remove hurdles in the way of construction of Ram temple. Either Parliament should honour the wishes of the people or the people should elect a Parliament that is sensitive to the issue,” the RSS chief said.
Earlier, senior VHP leader Ashok Singhal had openly backed Modi as BJP’s prime ministerial candidate, although his organisation is split over making the Gujarat Chief Minister as its choice for 2014 polls.
While Singhal’s support for Modi is being seen as an attempt by the VHP to mend ties with him given the increasing clamour in his support, other leaders in the VHP, most notably Praveen Togadia, have not yet spoken on the issue.
Singhal recently said that Modi is as popular as India’s first Prime Minister JL Nehru; however, Togadia has been categorical that he will not talk about one person or one party.
Though Modi was not invited to the RSS-VHP meet at the Maha Kumbh Mela in Allahabad, the firebrand politician has been at the core of the deliberations.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview