Afzal Guru hanged: Yashwant Sinha praises President Pranab
Hazaribagh: Senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha congratulated President Pranab Mukherjee for rejecting the mercy petition of terrorist Afzal Guru, who was hanged on Saturday.
Addressing a press conference here Sinha said, the President deserved praise for rejecting the mercy petition.
"The President’s action is a clear signal that terrorists have no place in the country."
Responding to a question on whether the President acted under opposition pressure, Sinha said, the Supreme Court upheld the verdict of death penalty of the terrorist in 2006 and he did not find any reason why the hanging was kept pending for such a long period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok