Afzal Guru hanged: Yashwant Sinha praises President Pranab
Hazaribagh: Senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha congratulated President Pranab Mukherjee for rejecting the mercy petition of terrorist Afzal Guru, who was hanged on Saturday.
Addressing a press conference here Sinha said, the President deserved praise for rejecting the mercy petition.
"The President’s action is a clear signal that terrorists have no place in the country."
Responding to a question on whether the President acted under opposition pressure, Sinha said, the Supreme Court upheld the verdict of death penalty of the terrorist in 2006 and he did not find any reason why the hanging was kept pending for such a long period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore