Afzal Guru hanging: Hurriyat leaders Farooz, Geelani under house arrest
New Delhi: Hurriyat leaders Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Syed Ali Shah Geelani have been placed under house arrest in Delhi soon after the announcement of hanging and burial of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
The decision to place the Hurriyat leaders under house arrest came after Afzal Guru was hanged in a top-secret operation on Saturday morning. The Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist was hanged at 8 am inside Delhi`s Tihar Jail, confirmed Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Home Secretary RK Singh.
Curfew has been imposed around Tihar Jail and in several parts of Kashmir. All the police stations in New Delhi were put on high alert, police sources said.
Meanwhile, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday urged all the citizens of the state to exercise restraint following the secret hanging and burial of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru in Delhi’s Tihar Jail this morning.
Asked if he had been kept in the loop, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said, "Absolutely."
“I urge the people of Jammu & Kashmir not to resort to any violent protest. To media I appeal please verify, don’t fall for rumours,” he added.
On Saturday, Moderate Hurriyat Conference led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq announced four-day mourning on the death of Mohammad Afzal Guru, who was hanged this morning following his conviction in the Parliament attack case.
"We call on people to observe four-day mourning on the hanging of Guru. A complete shutdown will be observed over the mourning period," Shahidul Islam, spokesman of the amalgam, told a news agency.
Hurriyat also demands immediate return of the mortal remains of Guru so that he can be given a burial according to his family`s wishes and as per Islamic rituals, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes