Afzal Guru hanging: Hurriyat leaders Farooz, Geelani under house arrest
New Delhi: Hurriyat leaders Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Syed Ali Shah Geelani have been placed under house arrest in Delhi soon after the announcement of hanging and burial of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
The decision to place the Hurriyat leaders under house arrest came after Afzal Guru was hanged in a top-secret operation on Saturday morning. The Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist was hanged at 8 am inside Delhi`s Tihar Jail, confirmed Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Home Secretary RK Singh.
Curfew has been imposed around Tihar Jail and in several parts of Kashmir. All the police stations in New Delhi were put on high alert, police sources said.
Meanwhile, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday urged all the citizens of the state to exercise restraint following the secret hanging and burial of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru in Delhi’s Tihar Jail this morning.
Asked if he had been kept in the loop, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said, "Absolutely."
“I urge the people of Jammu & Kashmir not to resort to any violent protest. To media I appeal please verify, don’t fall for rumours,” he added.
On Saturday, Moderate Hurriyat Conference led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq announced four-day mourning on the death of Mohammad Afzal Guru, who was hanged this morning following his conviction in the Parliament attack case.
"We call on people to observe four-day mourning on the hanging of Guru. A complete shutdown will be observed over the mourning period," Shahidul Islam, spokesman of the amalgam, told a news agency.
Hurriyat also demands immediate return of the mortal remains of Guru so that he can be given a burial according to his family`s wishes and as per Islamic rituals, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan