Afzal Guru hanging: Hurriyat leaders Farooz, Geelani under house arrest
New Delhi: Hurriyat leaders Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Syed Ali Shah Geelani have been placed under house arrest in Delhi soon after the announcement of hanging and burial of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
The decision to place the Hurriyat leaders under house arrest came after Afzal Guru was hanged in a top-secret operation on Saturday morning. The Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist was hanged at 8 am inside Delhi`s Tihar Jail, confirmed Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Home Secretary RK Singh.
Curfew has been imposed around Tihar Jail and in several parts of Kashmir. All the police stations in New Delhi were put on high alert, police sources said.
Meanwhile, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday urged all the citizens of the state to exercise restraint following the secret hanging and burial of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru in Delhi’s Tihar Jail this morning.
Asked if he had been kept in the loop, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said, "Absolutely."
“I urge the people of Jammu & Kashmir not to resort to any violent protest. To media I appeal please verify, don’t fall for rumours,” he added.
On Saturday, Moderate Hurriyat Conference led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq announced four-day mourning on the death of Mohammad Afzal Guru, who was hanged this morning following his conviction in the Parliament attack case.
"We call on people to observe four-day mourning on the hanging of Guru. A complete shutdown will be observed over the mourning period," Shahidul Islam, spokesman of the amalgam, told a news agency.
Hurriyat also demands immediate return of the mortal remains of Guru so that he can be given a burial according to his family`s wishes and as per Islamic rituals, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!
- Disappointment for Ranbir Kapoor; Sanjay Dutt biopic delayed? Details inside
- Wimbledon 2016: Roger Federer aims to end Marcus Willis fairytale
- Motihari gang-rape: Doctors in Bihar continue to use two-finger test, says NCW report
- New method that can kill cancer cells in 2 hours developed!