Afzal Guru hanging: `Law took its own course`
New Delhi: The law had taken its own course in the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said here on Saturday.
"The process of Article 72 unfolded and the once the mercy petition was rejected by the president (Pranab Mukherjee) the law took its own course," Tewari told a news channel, referring to the article of the Constitution under which a President can grant pardon or commute the sentence of any convict.
"Unlike the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), we don`t politicise the decisions which pertain to the national security. Eventually, when you are dealing with process under criminal jurisprudence, you see that law is followed rigorously," he said.
Afzal Guru was hanged in the national capital`s Tihar Jail at 8 am on Saturday outside his cell.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- WATCH: Pakistan vs England, 3rd T20: Complete highlights
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals
- Priyanka Chopra’s sex scene from ‘Quantico’ goes viral – Watch video