Afzal Guru hanging: Who said what
New Delhi: Afzal Guru, the convict in 2001 Parliament attack in which nine persons were killed, was hanged and buried in Tihar jail on early Saturday. Guru was convicted of conspiracy in the December 2001 attack on Parliament and was sentenced to death by the Supreme Court in 2004.
The hanging of the Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist has evoked reactions across the political arena. Here is what political leaders have to say about Afzal Guru’s hanging.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde
Afzal Guru`s case was again sent to me by President when I took over as Home Minister. I examined it in detail and I recommended it to President on January 21 and the file came back to me from President on February 03.
Union Home Secretary RK Singh
The decision on Afzal Guru`s body will be taken as per the jail manual. Afzal Guru will be buried with full religious rites inside the jail. We are not apprehending any law and order problem in Kashmir. The Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister was kept in the loop.
They (Tihar jail authorities) intimated the family through Speed Post, registered post and the DG (Director General of Jammu and Kashmir Police) has been told to check with the family whether they got it or not.
BJP leader Rajiv Pratap Rudy
It was delayed, but it is now the right decision
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi
Der aaye durast aaye (Better late than never)
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah
I want to clarify unlike in the case of Maqbool Butt there was no involvement of the Jammu and Kashmir Government in this case. We had no say in the matter
BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu
Perhaps the government is acting now against the death convicts as it suffers from policy paralysis. Whatever be the intention, the government has to explain the inordinate delay in the execution of Guru.
Ravi Shankar Prasad
The decision to hang Afzal Guru has been taken as per law of the land. I would request the government to consider fast track courts to tackle terror cases, so that we can wipe out the terror
Govt must look at setting up fast track courts to deal with terror. We have to fight terrorists at all levels.
Sanjay Raut, Shiv Sena
We congratulate President Pranab Mukherji for rejecting Afzal Guru mercy petition. If Home Ministery have taken courageous decision, then I congratulate Shinde also, but I think it is President initiative. Today it is like Diwali..to celebrate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read