Afzal Guru hanging: Who said what
New Delhi: Afzal Guru, the convict in 2001 Parliament attack in which nine persons were killed, was hanged and buried in Tihar jail on early Saturday. Guru was convicted of conspiracy in the December 2001 attack on Parliament and was sentenced to death by the Supreme Court in 2004.
The hanging of the Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorist has evoked reactions across the political arena. Here is what political leaders have to say about Afzal Guru’s hanging.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde
Afzal Guru`s case was again sent to me by President when I took over as Home Minister. I examined it in detail and I recommended it to President on January 21 and the file came back to me from President on February 03.
Union Home Secretary RK Singh
The decision on Afzal Guru`s body will be taken as per the jail manual. Afzal Guru will be buried with full religious rites inside the jail. We are not apprehending any law and order problem in Kashmir. The Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister was kept in the loop.
They (Tihar jail authorities) intimated the family through Speed Post, registered post and the DG (Director General of Jammu and Kashmir Police) has been told to check with the family whether they got it or not.
BJP leader Rajiv Pratap Rudy
It was delayed, but it is now the right decision
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi
Der aaye durast aaye (Better late than never)
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah
I want to clarify unlike in the case of Maqbool Butt there was no involvement of the Jammu and Kashmir Government in this case. We had no say in the matter
BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu
Perhaps the government is acting now against the death convicts as it suffers from policy paralysis. Whatever be the intention, the government has to explain the inordinate delay in the execution of Guru.
Ravi Shankar Prasad
The decision to hang Afzal Guru has been taken as per law of the land. I would request the government to consider fast track courts to tackle terror cases, so that we can wipe out the terror
Govt must look at setting up fast track courts to deal with terror. We have to fight terrorists at all levels.
Sanjay Raut, Shiv Sena
We congratulate President Pranab Mukherji for rejecting Afzal Guru mercy petition. If Home Ministery have taken courageous decision, then I congratulate Shinde also, but I think it is President initiative. Today it is like Diwali..to celebrate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday