Afzal Guru pens last letter to wife before being executed
New Delhi: Hours before he was to be executed, Afzal Guru penned his last letter to his wife, Tihar Jail officials said Monday. The letter, written in Urdu, was posted Saturday but is yet to reach his wife in Kashmir.
Speaking to IANS, officials at Tihar jail said that Afzal Guru, convicted for his role in the 2001 parliament attack, was told Feb 8 evening that he would be hanged the next morning.
"When he was told about his execution, he was cool and calm. He just expressed his wish that he wants to write a letter to his wife. The jail superintendent gave him a pen and paper," an official told IANS under condition of anonymity.
"He wrote the letter in Urdu, which was posted to his family in Kashmir on the same day," the official said.
But when IANS contacted the family, who live in Sopore, they said they are yet to receive it.
"We haven`t received this letter. Maybe like the letter that we got today about his hanging, we will get it later," Yaseen Guru, Afzal`s cousin, told IANS on phone.
Afzal Guru was hanged Feb 9 at 8 am in the Tihar Jail complex where he had lived in a solitary cell for many years.
His family has demanded that they be allowed to conduct his last rites.
"The government will take a decision in this regard," another official told IANS.
Afzal Guru, who used to spend his time in the jail by reading and writing, has left behind many books and hand-written articles.
The family has asked the jail authorities that all his belongings should be returned to them.
"The government will have to take a decision on this issue," the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez