Afzal Guru showed no signs of remorse: Tihar officials
New Delhi: Afzal Guru was woken up at 5 am on Saturday and he offered his prayers before calmly approaching the noose about three hours later, jail officials in Tihar Jail said.
He was buried after the hanging at 8 a.m. outside his cell in the jail. He had known since Friday evening what was in store, a source in the prison said while recounting his last hours.
"Since the deputy jailer came with the orders of hanging last (Friday) evening, Guru was aware of it. He was woken up at around 5 a.m. He offered namaz (prayers) after that and was really calm when approaching the gallows," the source told a news agency.
"He was happy and healthy," Tihar Jail director general Vimla Mehra told a news agency.
"He was hanged at 8 am (Saturday). He was lodged in special security jail number 3 and was hanged about 20 meters away from the cell," she said.
"Before the hanging, a medical check-up was conducted on him and his health and blood pressure were normal."
Informed sources told a news agency that Afzal Guru, convicted for his role in plotting the attack on Indian Parliament on December 13, 2001, was hanged in the presence of three doctors, one magistrate and jail officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony