Afzal Guru showed no signs of remorse: Tihar officials
New Delhi: Afzal Guru was woken up at 5 am on Saturday and he offered his prayers before calmly approaching the noose about three hours later, jail officials in Tihar Jail said.
He was buried after the hanging at 8 a.m. outside his cell in the jail. He had known since Friday evening what was in store, a source in the prison said while recounting his last hours.
"Since the deputy jailer came with the orders of hanging last (Friday) evening, Guru was aware of it. He was woken up at around 5 a.m. He offered namaz (prayers) after that and was really calm when approaching the gallows," the source told a news agency.
"He was happy and healthy," Tihar Jail director general Vimla Mehra told a news agency.
"He was hanged at 8 am (Saturday). He was lodged in special security jail number 3 and was hanged about 20 meters away from the cell," she said.
"Before the hanging, a medical check-up was conducted on him and his health and blood pressure were normal."
Informed sources told a news agency that Afzal Guru, convicted for his role in plotting the attack on Indian Parliament on December 13, 2001, was hanged in the presence of three doctors, one magistrate and jail officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video