Afzal Guru showed no signs of remorse: Tihar officials
New Delhi: Afzal Guru was woken up at 5 am on Saturday and he offered his prayers before calmly approaching the noose about three hours later, jail officials in Tihar Jail said.
He was buried after the hanging at 8 a.m. outside his cell in the jail. He had known since Friday evening what was in store, a source in the prison said while recounting his last hours.
"Since the deputy jailer came with the orders of hanging last (Friday) evening, Guru was aware of it. He was woken up at around 5 a.m. He offered namaz (prayers) after that and was really calm when approaching the gallows," the source told a news agency.
"He was happy and healthy," Tihar Jail director general Vimla Mehra told a news agency.
"He was hanged at 8 am (Saturday). He was lodged in special security jail number 3 and was hanged about 20 meters away from the cell," she said.
"Before the hanging, a medical check-up was conducted on him and his health and blood pressure were normal."
Informed sources told a news agency that Afzal Guru, convicted for his role in plotting the attack on Indian Parliament on December 13, 2001, was hanged in the presence of three doctors, one magistrate and jail officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days