Afzal Guru to be buried inside Tihar Jail: RK Singh
New Delhi: Home Secretary RK Singh on Saturday announced that 2001 Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru will be buried inside Tihar Jail itself.
Speaking to a news channel, the Home Secretary said: "The decision on Afzal Guru`s body will be taken as per the jail manual. Afzal Guru will be buried with full religious rites inside the jail. We are not apprehending any law and order problem in Kashmir. The Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister was kept in the loop”.
Singh confirmed the hanging of Afzal Guru, the main accused in the December 13, 2001, terror strike on the Indian Parliament.
Addressing media in the national capital, Singh said that Guru was hanged at 8 am on Saturday morning in Delhi`s Tihar Jail.
“He was hanged at 8 o’ clock this morning. The President rejected his petition on February 3,” said the Union Home Secretary, adding: “The law and justice is taking its course.”
“We did an investigation. As soon as the President rejected, further steps according to the jail manual were taken up. I repeat myself; it was law taking its course. It’s a rule of the law. We don’t announce our steps word by word. The J&K Police have taken some security measures,” Singh said.
“Our motive is not to give a lesson to anyone. The situation around the country is absolutely fine. In J&K, we will take action,” Singh said.
In the wake of his hanging, curfew has been imposed in several areas of Jammu and Kashmir in anticipation of protests. The Army is on high-alert in the state.
Guru was given the death sentence by the Supreme Court in 2004. His hanging was earlier scheduled for October 2006, but was suspended or stayed after his wife had filed a mercy petition on his behalf.
In December 2001, five heavily-armed terrorists drove into the Parliament complex and opened fire. Nine people were killed, most of them security personnel. All five terrorists were killed.
At that time, proceedings in Parliament was adjourned even as several lawmakers were inside.
Guru hailed from Sopore in Kashmir.
(With ANI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical