Afzal Guru`s hanging according to law of land: Digvijay Singh
New Delhi: Asserting that fast track courts should be set up to deal expeditiously with terror cases, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh on Saturday said the government took the decision to hang 2001 Parliament attack convict according to the law of the land.
Stating that the Congress has never been soft on terror and never compromised on security, Singh said anyone involved in terror and convicted by the Supreme Court deserves no mercy.
"The decision to hang Afzal Guru has been taken as per law of the land," he added.
Singh called for setting up of fast track courts to tackle terror cases.
"I would request the government to consider fast track courts to tackle terror cases, so that we can wipe out the terror," he added.
Singh further said the amount of damage terrorism has inflicted on the Congress is incomparable.
Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde today confirmed that Guru was hanged at 8 am at the Tihar Jail. President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Guru`s mercy plea on February 03 and a final decision to hang him was taken on February 08.
Guru was convicted of conspiracy in the December 2001 attack on Parliament and was sentenced to death by the Supreme Court in 2004.
On December 13, 2001, five heavily-armed gunmen stormed the Parliament complex and opened indiscriminate fire, killing nine persons.
They included five Delhi Police personnel, a woman Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) official, two Parliament watch and ward staff and a gardener.
A journalist, who was injured, died later. All five terrorists were shot dead.
(With ANI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery